The Product Developer is responsible for managing assigned products and all aspects of communication and execution in the areas of product development including collaboration cross functionally and with ownership over BOM development, product and fit engineering from concept through to commercialization.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Operations & Results
- Play a key role in identifying garment construction and product functionality that supports product managements directives, designer vision, key costing requirements and technical integrity.
- Be an innovator and find solutions for exceptional product execution and proactively ensure superior quality of goods and technical properties.
- Create product specifications and maintains all product details within the PLM system and various stages of prototype samples.
- Manage the entire development process and maintains BOM’s from initial tech pack build out to production ready styles.
- Lead product review meetings, including analysis of fit and product construction details.
- Record and delivers all prototype comments and factory communication, track cost impacts of changes, communicate changes to all appropriate parties and plan for next steps.
- Executes the product fit and ensures consistency based established specification and block patterns and achieved through concise and in-depth fit analysis and communication to vendors.
- Execute to the product development calendar for optimum efficiency while partnering with Design, Merchandising and Operations.
- Plan and track to the development schedule to ensure timely completion of each stage of product deliverables.
- Analyze detail cost sheets to confirm accuracy including yields, adherence to BOM details and to ensure the assigned products are meeting margin goals by estimating pre-costs and driving cost goals in collaboration with product managers and vendors.
- Achieve commercial viability of designs through collaboration with Merchandising, Design, Raw Mat and Ops department
- Work with L&F Sourcing leadership and vendor partners to successfully collaborate throughout the development process.
- Provide guidance and vendor knowledge to determine the sourcing strategy for the season.
- Travel to production locations, domestic and international, to manage all PD functions.
Customers & Relationships
- Communicate and follow-up with internal and external stakeholders around the world, including customers, suppliers, vendors and licensors, where applicable. Assist with problem solving as needed.
- Nurture and manage vendor relationships, and train Product Development staff to do the same.
- Work with L&F leadership to summarize and communicate status of prototype and sales sample production.
Strategy & Innovation
- Continually innovate and find solutions in development of seasonal product strategies, style-specific concepts, features & benefits, and strategic cost improvements.
- Continually assess and characterize the capabilities of our existing vendor partners and play a key role in optimizing the placement of new development styles with appropriate vendors, being mindful of technical capabilities, management expertise, communication abilities, and logistical realities that influence the quality, timeliness and cost of products.
Leadership & Teams
- Contribute positively to team dynamic, whether leading or participating in a project.
- Work collaboratively with individuals face-to-face, via email and voice/video conference.
- Drive assigned projects to successful conclusions.