The Production Manager manages the placement, execution and follow-up of manufacturing orders and by ensuring the timely delivery of quality, profitable goods.
Strategy & Innovation
- Perform competitive research; continuously evaluate marketplace to identify and report on applicability of key trends in manufacturing, fabrications and construction; identify significant innovations and share with supervisors in production and partners in merchandising and design on regular basis; maintain archive of materials, hardware, etc. for production.
Operations and Results
- Create approved vendor matrix, with costing and production capacity portfolio.
- Assist in negotiations on pricing to ensure profitability; enter final buys; track production from first samples to final deliveries; advise Senior Manager and Director of non-compliance/claims chargebacks with vendors; coordinate customs classification coordination with imports.
- Partner with merchandising, design and sales to develop product, ensure correct execution of products and attain agreed-upon margin goals, in context of larger assortment and cost structure; set and articulate expectations and ensure timely delivery according to development calendar.
- Manage Product Development including execution of protos, salesmen samples, fabric approval and color approval
- Follow and enforce production standards and cohesiveness of brand, where appropriate, across categories and vendors; attend all fits and work closely with product development to ensure on-time approvals; execute quality control initiatives, including QA analysis and solutions; adhere to and enforce production standards set by the company.
- Troubleshoot quality and technical issues with factories, mills, vendors and team(s); execute efforts in special garment development and enhancements and modifications to designs and materials, including line and discount/derivative products, in order to maintain aesthetic and achieve financial goals.
- Advise management on capacity planning and performance management by sourcing office, region, country and vendor; contribute accurate information for costing models; allocate production across vendors and reserve production space.
Customers & Relationships
- Partner with customers, sales, merchandising and operations, as well as vendors and factories to ensure adequate flow of goods relative to orders and anticipated demand criteria.
- Coordinate interoffice communication and follow-up with internal and external customers and contacts regarding production, including suppliers and vendors.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
- Travel to factories and international trade shows, where appropriate.
Leadership & Teams
- Contribute positively to team dynamic and manage up where necessary.
- Attract, develop and retain talent.
- Monitor and evaluate performance of individuals.