To assist the Senior Vice President of Legal and Business Affairs in a dual function role: (1) providing general legal guidance worldwide to celebrity and corporate clients within CAA-GBG’s extensive (and growing) portfolio; and (2) providing in-house support and advice to the business.
Work for our clients includes: managing the relationship, and working closely with, the in-house legal teams for a variety of corporate brands or celebrities (or their management companies) in connection with a broad range of documents, including licence agreements, manufacturing agreements, representation agreements, trademark authorisation letters, termination letters, and breach letters; ensuring the timely and accurate issuing and execution of such agreements/documents; responsibility for ongoing management of the licensee during the term of their agreement; and dealing with ad-hoc queries or issues arising in connection with such agreements.
The ‘internal’ role includes providing legal advice on the full spectrum of legal issues faced by the business, including corporate matters, drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements, reviewing leases, assisting HR with personnel matters, monitoring compliance and providing training to the business as required.
The role will also work closely with the sales, finance and creative teams in implementing global brand extension programmes for CAA-GBG’s clients.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who can juggle multiple projects and thrives in a changing, fast-paced and creative environment.
• Drafting and negotiating a range of commercial agreements, including: representation agreements, licence agreements, distribution agreements, endorsement agreements, collaboration agreements (and any others as the need arises).
• Managing the contract process from term sheet to execution, ensuring they are finalized in a timely and accurate manner.
• Providing legal advice and assistance to CAA-GBG.
• Assisting the Senior Vice President of Legal and Business Affairs with CAA-GBG internal legal matters, such as:
• the drafting and execution of corporate documents;
• drafting and reviewing internal policies;
• dispute resolution;
• monitoring compliance with our regulatory requirements (for example data protection and anti-bribery);
• Liaising with sales, finance and creative teams across the world on a daily basis.
• Managing internal processes, such as tracking deal flow and contract log.
• Providing training sessions for the sales, finance, creative teams on basic legal principles.
• Assisting with managing a training programme for the legal team
• UK qualified solicitor with excellent academic credentials and training at a top tier law firm.
• 1-3 PQE, preferably at a top tier law firm or prominent in-house legal department. Alternatively, more senior PQE on a part-time basis (4 days).
• Experience drafting and negotiating a range of commercial contracts.
• Experience of advising both professional and lay clients on legal issues and principles.
• Experience of managing or working on complex commercial and/or corporate transactions.
• Experience working in an in-house environment (e.g., secondment) is a plus.
• Experience working in the licensing industry or with/for brands is desirable.
• Strong knowledge of contract law (essential).
• Strong understanding of commercial law, issues and principles (essential).
• IP law – primarily trademarks (essential).
• General corporate law (essential).
• Employment law (useful).
• Competition law (useful).
• Data protection and privacy (useful).
• Compliance (useful).
Attributes and Skills
A successful candidate:
• is an excellent communicator – and can explain complex issues in a simple and commercial way;
• has a “can do” attitude;
• has excellent time management and personal organisation skills;
• can think outside the box;
• has excellent business judgment;
• has strong negotiation skills;
• works well under pressure;
• can effectively prioritize and manage simultaneous tasks in order to meet deadlines in a changing fast-paced environment;
• is a team player, but is happy to work autonomously;
• is keen to learn and develop, and develop others;
• is professional;
• is light-hearted and has a sense of humour; and
• Is looking for a role where two days are rarely the same.