The Designer plays a key role in the seasonal product design process by leading the creation of original, innovative, performance and lifestyle focused designs that lead to exceptional end product as per seasonal briefs and brand directives. The Designer is constantly exposed to industry trends and innovations, maintains a working knowledge of the on-snow performance market and applies that to their designs to meet end use functionality and consumer needs.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy & Innovation
- Research and identify trend direction and inspiration by consistently performing competitive analysis, attending trade shows, retail visits and participating in end use on snow experiences.
- Collaborate cross functionally on creative direction and product line planning.
- Develop initial seasonal designs in context of larger assortment, always being mindful of cost structure.
- Creatively address costing challenges with novel solutions that control cost but enhance the performance features of a garment from the consumer’s end use perspective.
- Collaborate with Product Development achieve balance on design intent and functional requirements during prototyping.
Operations & Results
- Create Designs that embrace the brand and category direction according to line plans, the creative brief, sales input, historical knowledge and emerging innovations and trends.
- Achieve timely execution of all steps in the Design process according to the product timeline and established deliverables.
- Create Illustrator sketches; create technical specification sketches, ensure accuracy of CADs throughout the development process and within the PLM system and shared drives.
- Develop presentation materials for meetings; generate boards, mock-ups, color-ups, and/or inspirational photos to clearly communicate design concepts.
- Participate in product review meetings: compile design comments and communicate changes to all appropriate parties.
- Assist in the creation of tech packs in FlexPLM for assigned styles.
- Attend and participate in prototype and fit reviews with Tech Design, Product Development and Product Line Managers.
- Communicate in written and verbal forms with applicable cross-functional partners to successfully manage the development of product designs through the prototyping process.
- Review assigned products with the cross functional team to ensure consistency in features, function and construction between styles and across various categories.
- Travel to production locations to review and communicate updates for prototypes as assigned.
Customers & Relationships
- Participate and present design concepts in seasonal line presentations to internal teams and external partners.
- Cultivate strong relationships with key accounts and sales team for knowledge on product performance at retail and future product needs.
- Share design concepts throughout the product range for cross collaboration.
Leadership & Teams
- Contribute positively to team dynamic, managing up when necessary.
- Work collaboratively with individuals face-to-face, via email and voice/video conference.
- Help Associate and Assistant Designers advance their skills and business knowledge - set them up for success.
- Drive assigned projects to successful conclusions.