This position is a critical support role for the Operations and Product Development teams. The Materials Manager will report directly to the Director Supply Chain Strategy & Planning and oversee the procurement, tracking, and maintenance of raw materials to ensure on-time delivery of finished goods.
For the upcoming Fall 2019 season, the Materials Manager should focus on implementing an efficient process for procuring, tracking and providing visibility to raw material inventory to ensure Delivery in Full On-time (DIFOT).
- Material Planning
- Work closely with the Product Development and Operations team to develop and maintain a raw-material forecast that aligns with the Factory Capacity Plan, and the Go-to Market Calendar.
- Provide periodic updates, volume reconciliations of the raw material forecast to material vendors and factories to maintain visibility on future purchases.
- Determine root causes for material shortages and implement corrective actions.
- Provide visibility to raw material liabilities (fabric and trims). Work with cross functional teams to identify opportunities to utilize raw material excess.
- Provide regular reporting to Finance of all material liabilities. Maintain material liabilities within set budget/guidelines.
- Negotiate raw material costs based on volume; understand volume breaks and negotiate with vendor
- Manage special request programs (SMU, USST, etc) with cross-functional teams to ensure on-time delivery
- Create and issue sample and bulk raw material commitments that aligns with vendor requirements.
- Facilitate communication with raw material vendors, factories and provide clarification on raw material requirements as needed.
- Identify, communicate and implement corrective actions due to material vendor capacity constraints or delivery delays.
- Alert management team of raw material production issues that could delay the production of finished goods. Propose solutions to mitigate impact.
- Inventory Control
- Manage and optimize global inventory, mitigate excess inventory across multiple locations.
- Maintain a material library with physical samples of all inventoried items.
- Coordinate with Spyder Distribution Centers to execute purchasing and delivery of adequate levels of material inventory for warranty repairs.
- Data Governance
- Coordinate data-entry and timely updates for the records of Spyder-owned raw materials in the company’s material planning software.
- Review Tech Packs, and Bill of Materials with the Product Development team to ensure accuracy of defined material articles and consumption yields.
- Update and maintain ex-mill dates, and fabric in-house dates to ensure on-time delivery of finished goods.
- Vendor Compliance
- Establish reporting to track raw material supplier performance against delivery targets.
- Develop a raw material supplier matrix by product category, geographic location, lead time, material type, and quality.
- Provide a post-seasonal review of raw material vendor performance along with recommendations for continuous improvement.