The Associate Technical Designer supports the seasonal design and merchandising process by contributing technical designs for in-category styles to ensure on-budget, on-time delivery of quality goods.
Strategy & Innovation
- Work with design, product development, and production teams on building category assortment plans that fit with established cost structure(s), based on garment construction, fabric costing, consumption, etc.; suggest alterations to fit and construction where appropriate.
- Execute implementation of consistent size and fit standards, grade rules and tolerances, construction and quality standards, follow templates and block patterns; comply with standard procedures for working with design, product development, production, sales, and vendors.
Operations & Results
- Develop technical designs for category and ensure on-time execution of complete, vendor-ready technical specification packages; ensure all styles, fits, construction, and specs meet standards of feasibility, costing, and appropriateness for brand; follow direction from VP of Technical Design to ensure fit consistent fit for brand(s) across seasons and categories.
- Partner with design, product development, and production to execute time-and-action calendar.
- Conduct fit sessions to ensure that fit, workmanship, and construction meets standards. Discuss all revisions with design team and implement updates to specs and construction.
- Communicate with vendors to ensure execution of standards; track fit and pre-production (PP) samples.
- Take photos and create sketches to illustrate any needed corrections and improvements to samples construction and workmanship.
- Working knowledge of patterns for review basic construction.
- Proactive follow up with vendors and production teams to ensure timely results.
Customers & Relationships
- Communicate and follow-up with internal and external constituents around the world, including customers, suppliers, vendors and licensors, where applicable; maintain relationships with existing partners, including internal constituents.
- Maintain relationships with collaborators and competitors.
- Awareness of current market trends and the ability to translate to product.
- Partner with production and quality assurance to carry out quality assurance protocols; problem solve as necessary.