The Director of Product Development manages the seasonal product development process, in collaboration with a cross-functional team that includes Design, Sales and Production, to plan, create and execute product lines.
Strategy & Innovation
- Engage in development of seasonal product strategies for category with Design and Sales teams, including trend identification, color palette, concept, category, style, costing and pricing; balance key items/fashion/basics; implement comprehensive costing and retail pricing framework to maximize consumer value; collaborate with Planning to identify and leverage previous best sellers in current, trend-appropriate assortments.
- Execute strategic direction and product plans set by Senior Director of Product Development for each brand and product category.
- Identify and suggest new product opportunities; leverage competitive market intelligence to gain and maintain marketplace advantages; isolate key, relevant trends for each category or brand, where appropriate; partner with Senior Director of Product Development to ensure brand cohesiveness.
Operations & Results
- Manage Product Development calendar for optimum operational efficiency; partner with Design, Production and Sales to ensure timely delivery of goods, sales growth, expense management and attainment of margin goals.Partner with partners overseas to source vendors and products; advise Sr. Director of Product Development to help plan allocation of developments and orders and balance workload among vendors to minimize risk; ensure superior quality for goods; identify and suggest solutions for quality and technical issues.
- Participate in concept meetings, product review meetings, including edits, board review, pre-costing and post-season reviews; Analyze costs and provide with margins and pricing suggestions. Track assignment of duty rates; create and track checklist of any or all legal requirements; verify that goods are placed in approved facilities and raise concerns to Sr. Director of Product Development.
- Manage creation and completion of Product Specifications Sheets; properly track of proto and sales samples; Manage with Sales and Design sampling for new collections and showroom display (twice a year), and manage all Production related samples.
Customers & Relationships
- Communicate and follow-up with internal and external constituents around the world, including customers, suppliers, vendors and licensors, where applicable; partner with partners overseas to source new fabrications, new suppliers and vendors and maintain relationships with existing partners, including internal constituents.
- Maintain relationships with collaborators and competitors.
Leadership & Teams
- Contribute positively to team dynamic and manage up where necessary.
- Attract, develop and retain talent.
- Monitor and evaluate performance of individuals.