The Director of Product Development - Beauty drives the seasonal product development process of kids personal care and novelty cosmetics, in collaboration with a cross-functional team that includes Design, Merchandising and Production, to plan, create and execute product lines.
Roles & Responsibilities
Strategy & Innovation
• Partner with Design, Merchandising and Production teams to develop seasonal product strategies, including trend identification, color palette, concept, category, style, costing and pricing; balance key items/fashion/basics; implement comprehensive costing and retail pricing framework to maximize consumer value; collaborate with Planning to leverage previous best sellers in current, trend-appropriate assortments.
• Drive execution of strategic direction and product plans for each brand and product category.
• Identify and generate new product opportunities; leverage competitive market intelligence to gain and maintain marketplace advantages; isolate key, relevant trends for each category or brand, where appropriate; drive Product Development team and partner with cross-functional teams to ensure brand cohesiveness across categories.
Operations & Results
• Drive Product Development calendar for optimum operational efficiency; partner with Design, Merchandising Production and Sales to ensure timely delivery of goods, sales growth, expense management and attainment of margin goals.
• Advise VP of Product Development to help plan allocation of orders and balance workload among vendors to minimize risk; negotiate optimal pricing, where appropriate, and ensure superior quality for goods; identify and resolve quality and technical issues.
• Present line to senior colleagues; manage product review meetings, including edits, board review, pre-costing and post-season reviews; ensure Production and Imports properly determine duty rates and confirm with customs; review product line to ensure adherence to any or all legal requirements; monitor vendors to ensure that products are manufactured only in approved facilities and raise concerns to VP of Product Development.
• Drive creation of complete Product Profile Sheets; order and ensure proper tracking of proto and sales samples.
Customers & Relationships
• Manage communication and follow-up with internal and external constituents around the world, including customers, suppliers, vendors and licensors, where applicable; partner with Production and Tech to source new suppliers and vendors. and maintain relationships with existing partners, including internal constituents.
• Maintain relationships with collaborators and competitors; attend trade shows and industry events.
Leadership & Teams
• Contribute positively to team dynamic and manage up where necessary.
• Monitor and evaluate performance of individuals and team.
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
• 8+ years experience and understanding of beauty product merchandising, packaging, manufacturing, global supply chain operations, and mass market distribution.
• Entrepreneurial drive tempered by judgment and strong leadership skills.
• Superior organizational skills and excellent communication skills; experience managing and motivating teams.
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines; highly detail oriented, meticulous and a self-starter.
• A sense of creativity and a sensibility for merchandising and customer needs.
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office, proficiency in SAP preferred.
GBG USA Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer